Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Love & Food

Yam & Green Chili Pirogi
Happiness is not the best muse for songwriting, but it is my muse for cooking. So after a 2 year hiatus, this blog will resume.

My cooking commitment this winter will be to two things: Bread and Cheese.

Cheese. Yes. Vegan cheese. Don't laugh or you won't get any. My first unsuspecting suspects will be at the annual vet clinic Holiday Party in 3 weeks. I have my supplies coming 2-day air from Amazon.com (you really must get an Amazon Prime account. Free 2nd day shipping and tons of movies to watch for free. It's the best deal in town).

My first attempts will be a Chevre, Brie, and a hard cheese - probably the Harvest Cheddar. I will document as I go along.

Chocolate cake w/mocha buttercream
High altitude baking does present a challenge, but as I've become more adept in the cake & pie department (still far from my goal), I think I'm ready to tackle yeasty things. My last attempt with Cinnamon Rolls, were a success, which was inspiring. The decadent looking cake on the right is a chocolate cake with mocha buttercream. I was also trying my hand at a little entry-level decorating. I'm glad I sing better than I decorate. Regardless of beauty, I took half to Sunday's Unity meeting and the other half to work at the clinic. Needless to say I'm glad I reserved a slice for Paul & I as it was demolished in no time flat.

One of the reasons I started this blog was I kept getting asked "What the hell do vegans eat, anyway?" and this is my loving response. Tomorrow you'll see that Thanksgiving can be decadent, overindulgent, and cruelty-free.

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Hanukkah to all!


No comments:

Post a Comment